Supplemental Report: Regional State of Ocean and Coasts 2021 (VOLUME 2)
Thursday, December 02, 2021
Only Available Online
This report is a supplement to the Regional State of Oceans and Coasts (RSOC) 2021. Blue Economy: Where are We Now? Where are We Heading?. The impacts of COVID-19 on the ocean economy, and health of the people and the ocean are explored in this supplemental report. Using the initiatives, best practices, and lessons learned discussed in the RSOC report, this supplemental report provides key recommendations to move forward with the blue economy as a way for a sustainable, inclusive, and resilient recovery.
More information in the brochure.
Proceedings of the 2023 PEMSEA Network of Local Governments Forum (PNLG) "Developing Coastal Cities, Fostering Blue Partnership"
The 2023 Forum of the PNLG with the theme, “Developing Coastal Cities, Fostering Blue Partnership” was hosted by the PNLG and PEMSEA and co-organized by the PNLG Secretariat, PEMSEA Resource Facility (PRF) and Coastal and Ocean Management Institute (COMI) of Xiamen University (XMU). The forum was conducted on 8-11 November 2023 in Xiamen, China. The PNLG Forum was one of the key events of the Xiamen World Ocean Week.
The Forum was participated by over 130 participants from:
- 23 members from seven countries, namely: Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, RO Korea, and Timor Leste,
- 4 PNLG Associate members, namely the First Institute of Oceanography, Ministry of Natural Resources, China; Coastal and Ocean Management Institute (COMI) and Fujian Institute for Sustainable Oceans (FISO) of Xiamen University (XMU), China, and National Ocean Technology Center (NOTC) of the Ministry of Natural Resources, China;
- resource speakers and other invited experts,
- the PNLG Secretariat, and
- the PRF.
Proceedings of PEMSEA Network of Learning Centers (PNLC) back - to - back Events
The document contains the proceedings of three back-to-back activities that were conducted in Seoul, Republic of Korea from 31 October to 3 November 2023.
The activities include:
- The 6th Geo Blue Planet Symposium on Digital Solution for Sustainable Ocean Community on October 31
- PEMSEA Learning Exchange on Good Practices in Implementing Biodiversity Conservation-Focused Ecosystem and Area-based Management Approaches on November 1
- The 3rd PEMSEA Network of Learning Centers (PNLC) General Assembly Meeting on November 2
The activities were organized by the PEMSEA Resource Facility (PRF) with support from RoKorea Ministry of Ocean and Fisheries, the Korea Maritime Institute (KMI), and the Korea Management Corporation (KOEM), and the Korea Blue Carbon Research Center.
Participants include 39 representatives from 17 of the 21 PNLC members, officers, and staff from KMI, KOEM, the Korea Blue Carbon Research Center, and the PEMSEA Resource Facility (PRF).
Regional Biofouling Management Action Plan in the Seas of East Asia
The challenges posed by biofouling require responses at local, national, and regional levels. The link to international shipping is crucially important, especially so in East Asia, which is already the global hotspot for shipping despite continuing advances in its economies. During the regional meeting of the GloFouling Partnerships Project in September 2023, the Regional Action Plan on Biofouling Management was approved as a response to the need.
Integrated River Basin Management Project Newsletter - Edition 1
2023 marks the beginning of a breakthrough collaboration among six ASEAN member states (AMS) and development partners in Southeast Asia for the protection and management of select priority river basins that drain into four large marine ecosystems in the Southeast Asian Region, the Bay of Bengal, South China Sea, Gulf of Thailand and Indonesian Sea. This year, the Integrated River Basin Management Project saw the project inception and establishment of the governance mechanism at the regional level, including the establishment of the Regional Project Management Unit at PRF and the approval and adoption of the 2023 workplan and budget. The six AMS proceeded in securing approval of the project in line with their respective government policies and procedures and initiated consultations at national and river basin levels to discuss the project’s implementing arrangements. Regional activities were also initiated including the development of State of River Basin Reporting Guidelines, Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Analysis, capacity development activities, and knowledge management and communication outreach.
Proceedings of the Seminar on Creating a Safe Workplace Environment: A Discussion on Sexual Harassment
A seminar on 'Creating a Safe Workplace Environment: A Discussion on Sexual Harassment was conducted on 8 December 2023 in Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines. The seminar was participated by PEMSEA Resource Facility management and staff.
The objectives of the seminar were to:
- Describe behaviours that constitute sexual harassment in the workplace;
- Suggest practical guidelines in dealing with sexual harassment in the workplace and in promoting a safe work environment that caters to diverse staff;
- Discuss the dynamics of power, provilege and social relations in the workplace in understanding and unpacking sexual harassment issues; and,
- Express their commitment in promoting a safe and violence-free work environment.
Attached is a copy of the proceedings of the seminar which also helped inform the refinement of PRF's Sexual Harassment Policy and Guidelines.