The ATSEA-2 Programme has published its Annual Report for the year 2021. This Programme is designed to enhance collaboration and coordination in the Arafura and Timor Seas (ATS) region, with a mandate to support the implementation of the endorsed ATS regional Strategic Action Programme (SAP) 2014-2024 and pursue its long-term objective and vision: “to promote sustainable development of the Arafura-Timo Seas region to improve the quality of life of its inhabitants through restoration, conservation and sustainable management of marine-coastal ecosystems”. PEMSEA serves as executing agency for the Programme.
The annual report presents the progress and accomplishments that have been made in the implementation of the ATSEA-2 Project in 2021, despite adverse global conditions. The project has worked with local officials, communities, and fishers in the region, generating stakeholder engagement for their activities.
The report includes the following segments:
- Strengthening Governance for Marine Ecosystem Management
- Establishing Cooperative Governance Mechanisms for the ATS Region
- 3rd RSC Meeting: ATSEA-2 Looks Ahead to 2022
- Guide for Facilitators
- Working to Achieve Gender Equity and Social Inclusion in the ATS Region
- Enhancing Ecosystem Resilience
- Devising an EAFM Plan for ATS Key Commodities
- Combating IUU Fishing in the ATS Region
- Tackling Marine Pollution in the ATS Region
- Devising an MPA Network Design and Sea Turtle Action Plan
- Developing an Integrated Coastal Management Approach
- Monitoring and Awareness Raising
- ATSEA-2 Theory of Change
- Scaling Up Stakeholder Outreach
- Overall Technical and Financial Delivery
The ATSEA Annual Report 2021 can be accessed HERE.