ASEAN Foundation Research Scholarships
The ASEAN Foundation (AF) and National University of Singapore (NUS) have entered into a new agreement to develop high quality human resources within ASEAN member countries through the ASEAN Foundation Research Scholarship.
The ASEAN Foundation, an initiative of the Leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), was established on 15 December 1997 to help bring about shared prosperity and a sustainable future for the peoples of all ASEAN countries. It has been mandated to promote greater awareness of ASEAN and greater interaction among its peoples and their increased participation in ASEAN activities as well as to undertake development cooperation activities that enhance mutual assistance, address equitable economic development and reduce poverty. This scholarship programme is part of the ASEAN Foundation Scholarships for Postgraduate Studies and funded through the Japan-ASEAN Solidarity Fund.
Two scholarship slots are available for ASEAN nationals (except Singapore citizens and permanent residents) who wish to pursue a Masters Degree by research in NUS. Selection of successful applicants will be based on merit.
These scholarships are open to bonafide nationals of an ASEAN country (except Singapore citizens and permanent residents) and tenable in the following faculties:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- School of Design and Environment (Real Estate & Building courses)
- Faculty of Law
- Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy
To qualify, applicants must:
- Hold a good bachelors degree or its equivalent and possess a strong academic record;
- Satisfy other admission requirements as specified by the faculty/school they apply to;
- Submit a valid Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) result as evidence of their proficiency in the English language (for applicants whose native tongue or medium of university instruction is not English).
- Agree to return and/or serve for at least 2 years in any ASEAN countries after completion of their studies.
Field of Studies
- Developmental Studies
- Information and Communication Technology
- A monthly stipend of S$2,000;
- Tuition, examination fees and other approved fees at NUS;
- A one-off air travel allowance of one single trip ticket from home country to Singapore upon award of the scholarship;
- A one-off book allowance of up to S$200;
- Accommodation subsidy of Singapore Dollars (S$3,000) per year;
- Graduation gown rental fees;
- A one-off air travel allowance of one single trip ticket from Singapore to home country upon successful completion of the course leading to the award of the degree.
The award is tenable for a maximum of 2 years, subject to an annual review of the scholar’s satisfactory progress.
Applicants should indicate their interest in the Scholarship via the NUS Graduate Research Programme Application System.
Applicants should also complete the ASEAN Foundation Scholarship for Postgraduate Studies Application Form and submit together with the Application for Admission form and other supporting documents to the relevant Faculty/School.Application deadline:
- Semester 1 (August): 15 November
- Semester 2: (January): 15 May