International Conference on Sustainable Coastal and Ocean Development
Download Conference Theme Summaries
- Overall Conference Outcomes
- Theme 1: Coastal and Ocean Governance
- Theme 2: Natural and Man-made Hazard Prevention and Management
- Theme 3: Habitat Protection, Restoration and Management
- Theme 4: Water Use and Supply Management
- Theme 5: Food Security and Livelihood Management
- Theme 6: Pollution Reduction and Waste Management
The International Conference gathered various stakeholders - policymakers, resource and economic managers, business professionals, scientists, members of the academe, local and international NGOs, youth and community representatives and other members of civil society from within and outside the East Asian Seas region - to engage in knowledge sharing and partnership building.
The International Conference featured six major Conference Themes that covered essential aspects of sustainable coastal and ocean development. A series of workshops, seminars and interactive sessions were organized under each theme, providing close to 1,500 participants from the region and other parts of the world with access to a wealth of experience and expertise in improved governance and management of the regional ocean and its resources.
The six major themes included: a) Coastal and Ocean Governance; b) Natural and Man-made Hazard Prevention and Management; c) Habitat Protection, Restoration and Management; d) Water Use and Supply Management; e) Food Security and Livelihood Management; and f) Pollution Reduction and Waste Management.
Goals and Objectives
- Serve as venue for sharing of experiences, developments and lessons learned in the application of ecosystem-based approaches to the management of coastal and marine areas, as well as the related watersheds and natural resources;
- Assess the progress made since the EAS Congress 2006, including the implementation of international environmental instruments, identify remaining challenges and explore new approaches/best practices that will help address challenges at the local, national and regional levels;
- Highlight experiences and lessons learned at the local level in coastal and ocean governance through the application of integrated coastal management (ICM);
- Promote collaboration and partnerships at all levels to help overcome governance, finance, scientific, communication and capacity barriers in effective coastal and oceans management;
- Based on the consensus or key points identified in various workshops/ seminars, provide recommendations to the Ministers and PEMSEA Partners to contribute in the advancement and further strengthening of the implementation of the Sustainable Development Strategy for the Seas of East Asia (SDS-SEA).